Skip to main content

E- Commerce to E-Work

Here I am today, doing an entire marketing campaign for an Organisation, just sitting at home and spending a few hours on the internet. By internet I mean mostly social media and bulk mailing websites. More importantly just today I realised that my average strike rate is about 23.4%, which is astoundingly high for a marketer. Only 4% of my target audience unsubscribe. Who needs them anyways .... Lol. 


But the point here I am trying to make is, we all knew that ways of doing business have evolved but I guarantee that most of us would have never experienced the real power of this change.


Just a few months back, I would not rely on an online trader or an e-shop to buy items. Not because he would run away with my money but because what if the product is not the one with the right specification as mentioned online. Most importantly am I aware of what specification I want unless I see it physically. And if all these possibilities go wrong, will the seller ever return my money back and take the item back. 


Back home, All that I would do using the power of e-commerce was check my account balance on net banking, book railway tickets, a couple of movie tickets and yes  of course booked our air tickets to NZ. Scepticism surrounded me, whenever I used internet to do financial transactions.


In our air tickets when we booked with an online ticket booking portal, we happened to get a better deal than the agent but we had to re-schedule the flight dates, wherein we incurred a much larger loss.


Most of us would surf online shopping websites but never order a single item. Even the refund policy of such websites is obnoxious. 90 days refund policy (working).... duhhh... that is approximately 120 real days.... Are you telling me that you gonna have fun with MY Money for so many days and also not pay me interest .. On top of that the website may even deduct administration charge. I would like to tell these websites, give me my money faster and you will incur less administration cost and not pay your stupid, dumb*** employees to hold My Money.




But now in this new country the rules of the game have changed. Customer is really the king. I do everything like getting a our car registered, paying telephone bills, rent etc. all online just sitting at home. I also work online out of the comforts of my home. I don't have to get up early morning, take a bath and do all sorts of chores to reach office. I just get up and switch on my laptop. 






I have even tasted the good sides of shopping online. I happened to order a thermal blanket for our king size mattress from Briscoes. The product arrived sooner than I thought but too my late realization, the blanket was smaller than I thought. On measuring the mattress I realised it was a SUPERRR KING size mattress... WTF... I thought its my fault, I should have checked. Few days later I was with a few friends to one of the Briscoes Stores. On a plain casual chat with one of the store person, I realised that they were happy to exchange it for me and would even match the price. Now that is what I call customer service. Finally I got a Super King Size blanket for price which was $2 less than the earlier one.. Wow thats a double deal !! Customer Delight to its real sense (experienced).


Today I realise the true power of e-commerce, not only do I spend online but also earn by bread and butter from working with e-commerce.


Hats off to Technology !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange City – Revelation.

Yes! I am back to my original self. I have again started talking to myself. This is my third trip to Nagpur (the orange city). This time my mother has asked me to get Nagpur’s famous Orange Barfi (sweetmeat)and like always I was too busy with my work and after work I wanted sometime to relax back in my hotel room. The hotel I usually stay is Dwarka at Sitabuldi, Nagpur. Looks absolutely shady! But what to do, I am here only for a day. (Thankfully not night). But I remember, Last month  I had to spend a night at Nagpur, coz. I didn’t have train reservation for Raipur nor could find any buses to Raipur, thanks to the threat from Naxal’s, many buses from Nagpur to Raipur have been terminated. The night experience was not so bad, had a pleasant sleep but next day I had to travel from Nagpur to Jabalpur via Bus. They said it takes 4 hrs in a Volvo Bus service, but mind it, it took the entire day. At the end of the journey, I was dizzy enough to puke. But yeah that was last month.

Waking Up to life

Today, when I woke up, the first thing that came to my mind was....BREAKFAST..What would have Mom made for breakfast, had a deep urge of having "poha" (Spicy rice flakes with onion and potato pieces). Completed my daily routine, at full luxury (as on weekdays, I have to do everything in a hurry..reason; new reporting time in office 8:00AM, since 25th November 2009 .my 24th Birthday - should have been a day of new beginning, I mean new time of beginning for me.. lol).  Climbing down the steps from my room, I heard my dad say,"Why waste so much money, this time of the year there is not much income." this was about the celebrating my birthday, I had postponed the celebration to today evening as my sister was in Goa on 25th Nov. My Mom saw me hearing that an quickly responded to me saying that, Dad's health is not great to go out for dinner, so lets just cook your favourite Biryani, Tandoori Chicken and some kebabs at home. I responded immediately that because o

Yet Another Come Back

Breathing a brand new air, in a country which I call "The End of the World" - New Zealand. Last year along with my wife, I arrived in this piece of land with plenty of anxiety and fear in mind. This was my big ticket to start up from scratch and make it large (I know , I sound Filmy now !! but can't help it). At that time my fear was greater than my excitement.  Many people say, when in fear of the unknown, do not worry ... everything will fall into place. I just hope that, the same happens in my case as well.  I have been in relation with my wife from past 8 years and when we started living together, both of us had our own set of inhibitions. First biggest ice-breaker was that we thought we knew everything about each other, each other's likes and dislikes but sadly we were mistaken. In these 8 months, we have learnt a lot about living together. Major realisations about each other came our way. It seemed like we had missed the target by miles apart. So