Skip to main content

The Pandemic Effect - Pilot

It is a late spring afternoon in Auckland, New Zealand and Akash is busy working with his colleagues planning a client event for next week. He gets a call from a familiar phone number but with no name to display. Akash has a faint idea of who it is from, so he gets up hastily and walks out of the office, away from others.

The call is from a hiring manager of a big hotel chain, advising that they would like to offer him the position. Akash is ecstatic about the news and controlling his excitement, the first person he calls is Veena, his wife. The hotel chain has asked him to take charge of the role from the first week of December 2019.

Akash and Veena are ready to celebrate this news with their 3 year old son, Rudra. Finally, after 9 years of hard-work, Akash has reached the pinnacle of his career in New Zealand.


Few miles away at Auckland Airport, Rizwan is walking out of the Immigration check-point and has dialled a number to speak to the love of his life in Lahore, Pakistan - Ali. 

Rizwan is consoling Ali, that it is just a matter of few months and soon they will be together. The phone call is quite emotional, as their dream to be together is soon to be fulfilled. In the meanwhile, Rizwan gets a second call and it is from his employer. He advises Ali about the second call and immediately swaps to the other call. Rizwan speaks very few words to the other caller and at the end says, "yes, of course, I will be there on shift tomorrow". He quickly picks up his bags and rushes towards the domestic terminal to get a connecting flight to Wellington.

The couple are desperately waiting to be with each other. Ali has secured admission at Victoria University, Wellington to study Media Communications. Once both are in New Zealand, they have plans to get married. Same-sex marriages are illegal in Pakistan.


Jeremy is celebrating his first work-anniversary with his colleagues at the Christchurch Race-course. It is the Cup & Show week in the city and whole atmosphere is celebratory. Jeremy's wife, Rere is also in Christchurch with their two daughters - Lily and Violet, visiting her Brother who has recently moved from Auckland to Christchurch and is expecting a baby with his partner.

Jeremy, a Chinese migrant, who came to New Zealand about 15 years back, has been working odd jobs and in unappreciative environment ever since. At the moment, he works in a nice company as an Operations Manager and is well-respected, appreciated and admired by his colleagues and superiors. It is a very proud moment for Jeremy and he is celebrating it not just as a work-anniversary but as a win.


Further down in the South Island, Margot is checking in to a Bed & Breakfast in Dunedin. At the age of 65, Margot lives on her own terms and independence. After she is in her room, Margot sends a text to Clarence "reached safely, will talk tomorrow". Clarence is her current partner of 3 years but their relation has not been a stable one. As she puts down her phone, it starts ringing. Its a call from her son in the UK. 

Margot picks up the call immediately and greets, "Hello, love, how are you, its been so long?"

George responds back, "I am well, Mum! I am calling to give you some news. Julie and I are pregnant"

To which, Margot says ecstatically "oh, how wonderful!! when is the baby due?"

George, "in March of next year, Mum! We would love for you to come over for a few months"

Margot, "Well of course, I would not miss it for the world. Let me come back to you with some more details in a couple of days."

And then the call ends after exchanging a few other pleasantries. Margot is excited about the new baby and the trip. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Orange City – Revelation.

Yes! I am back to my original self. I have again started talking to myself. This is my third trip to Nagpur (the orange city). This time my mother has asked me to get Nagpur’s famous Orange Barfi (sweetmeat)and like always I was too busy with my work and after work I wanted sometime to relax back in my hotel room. The hotel I usually stay is Dwarka at Sitabuldi, Nagpur. Looks absolutely shady! But what to do, I am here only for a day. (Thankfully not night). But I remember, Last month  I had to spend a night at Nagpur, coz. I didn’t have train reservation for Raipur nor could find any buses to Raipur, thanks to the threat from Naxal’s, many buses from Nagpur to Raipur have been terminated. The night experience was not so bad, had a pleasant sleep but next day I had to travel from Nagpur to Jabalpur via Bus. They said it takes 4 hrs in a Volvo Bus service, but mind it, it took the entire day. At the end of the journey, I was dizzy enough to puke. But yeah that was last month.

Waking Up to life

Today, when I woke up, the first thing that came to my mind was....BREAKFAST..What would have Mom made for breakfast, had a deep urge of having "poha" (Spicy rice flakes with onion and potato pieces). Completed my daily routine, at full luxury (as on weekdays, I have to do everything in a hurry..reason; new reporting time in office 8:00AM, since 25th November 2009 .my 24th Birthday - should have been a day of new beginning, I mean new time of beginning for me.. lol).  Climbing down the steps from my room, I heard my dad say,"Why waste so much money, this time of the year there is not much income." this was about the celebrating my birthday, I had postponed the celebration to today evening as my sister was in Goa on 25th Nov. My Mom saw me hearing that an quickly responded to me saying that, Dad's health is not great to go out for dinner, so lets just cook your favourite Biryani, Tandoori Chicken and some kebabs at home. I responded immediately that because o

Marriage – the union

We have often heard that marriages are made in heaven and they are the union of two souls etc. etc. But my question to myself is “Is it really so?”.... I disbelieve or rather contradict the statement of Marriages made in heaven or they being the union of two souls. Marriage in my understanding is a union of two different worlds. Let me explain.... The groom’s side and the bride’s side even if they belong to same caste, community , religion, region etc. no matter how many similarities they possess, there always exists a difference in attitudes, behavior, motives, etc. among the two uniting families. So I simply put it as a union of two different worlds. There is always a belief that the bride has to adjust with the groom’s family, but along with it, also is seen the reverse. In order to make the bride comfortable, the groom is usually seen adapting with the in-laws. So the bride as well as the groom; both with equal amount of efforts, try to adapt to each other’s world. Even the